Well, yesterday was the annual St. George marathon, and my dad and my brother Wes both participated. What awful weather it was! It was cold and rainy all day long. Let's just say it was a tough marathon. Apparantly they had more people coming in by ambulance than any other year, because of symptoms of hypothermia. Wes ran last year WITHOUT EVEN TRAINING and did great. 4 hours 20 minutes. Like I said no training, just naturally fit....lucky kid. So he signed up this year and began training so he could beat his time. His goal was 3 hours 40 min. He began the race and was ahead of his goal with each mile. At the 11th mile he grabbed a drink and the instant he began running again his knee totally gave out on him. He blames the weather. But the tough (or dumb, hehe) kid that he is, was not going to just give up, so he kept walking/jogging/trying to run for another 6 MILES! By the 17th mile he was freezing! He said he was never able to get running again (because of his knee) to warm himself up and he was afraid he was going to get pneumonia or hypothermia, so he finally decided to end his run and came back in on a shuttle. He was so bummed. He was doing so great. We know you would have done awesome Wes! We hope your knee heals fast! As for my dad...he totally finished! I am so proud of him. He probably did even less training then Wes did his first year, but he was determined to finish a marathon. I think he ran like 3 miles here and there, but was confident he could do it. I know...these boys in my family are insane! Well, he finished in 6 hours and 15 minutes. He said he felt pretty good the whole time until about the 20th mile. It was so wet and cold his socks got soaked and his feet blistered really bad. So he ended up walking the last 6 miles. He did jog across the finish line. What a trooper. Today he is suffering a sore knee and his left ankle is swollen. I went over there tonight and he was using a walking stick to get around! Even with all this, I must say I have been inspired to run a marathon some day. I know I will totally have to start from square 1 with the running though. I am so proud of both my dad and Wes. They are supermen to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I know I would love to do it... well maybe just a half, but still they did awesome! I hope ou guys are doing good! love you,and can't wait to see you over christmas! and little man is so cute and growing up WAY to fast!
oh man he is getting so dang big and cuter and cuter each time i see him! We will for sure have to watch Sleeping Beauty sometime!
Sounds fun! I can't believe how big your little guy is getting, they grow up fast! Post some pics of your house when you find one :)
Anyone who runs a marathon is a hero in my book. I don't care how long it takes you to finish, the fact that you did it is amazing. So yes, I agree, your dad and brother are awesome!
How is the house hunting coming along? You should come and build in Coral Canyon so that we could be neighbors. Then Trevor and Stella could grow up and be BFFs!
Thanks for the comments on my blog. You are a sweetie. Let your brother know that a lady in my ward didn't finish the marathon either. She is a dedicated runner who has run several marathons, but had problems with her back half-way through and had to be hauled off the course. Sounds like a lot of runners didn't finish this year!
Post a Comment